Standard Approach to FortiClient removal for Mac
Step 1: Remove the app if you got from the Mac App Store
If you got this FortiClient application via the Mac App Store, there is a specific way to allow you delete it on the computer, but it is not available for removing the apps which are belonging to the OS X itself, such as the Safari.
Specific steps to remove the app (got from the App Store):
- If the app is running on your computer, right-click on its icon on the Dock, and select Quit
- Click on Launchpad icon in the Dock, and locate the FortiClient's icon
- Hold down the icon until all of icons start to jiggle
- Click on the delete button at the top left corner, and then the program's package will be removed from the Launchpad
Step 2: Uninstall FortiClient via its uninstaller
Some applications may contain an particular uninstaller on their install packages, you can try to open the package to check whether there is an uninstaller of the applications. If you can see a removal tool inside, you can choose to take this uninstaller to remove the program on your Mac computer.
Just double-click on the uninstaller, a new removing wizard will display on the desk, and you just need to follow the instructions to complete the whole removing process.
Step 3: Remove the program from the Finder
By default, an installed application should be placed at the Applications folder in the Finder, so you can choose to find out the FortiClient program inside, and move it to the Trash to remove it.
- Click on Finder on the Dock, and select Applications on the left pane
- Find FortiClient in the folder, and drag the icon the to Trash
- Enter the account's password if you are required to confirm you want to delete it
- Click OK to remove it to the Trash
- Right-click on the Trash icon, and select "Empty Trash"
Optional: remove additional leftovers
Note: vestiges are usually contained if you take the above removal methods to uninstall FortiClient, your should do an additional leftovers removal after deleting the app's installed package.
Open up 'Terminal' from spotlight and enter the following commands pressing enter after each line:
cd / cd Library/LaunchDaemons sudo rm -rf com.fortinet.forticlient.* cd / cd "Library/Application Support/Fortinet" sudo rm -R FortiClient
*Note after typing sudo rm -rf com.fortinet.forticlient.* you will be prompted for your computer's password, it will not show any characters while you type the password, this is normal.
After you've entered the final command reboot your computer and then try running 'Uninstall Forticlient' program again. Once the uninstall completes you should be able to install a different version of Forticlient.